Recipe for Meatball Lasagne
Lasagne and Meatballs - these are on top of the favorite food list of many. Today we are going to see how to combine these two and produce the most sumptuous twist on Lasagna.
- Olive oil, 2 tablespoons
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- Minced beef, 500g
- Dried thyme, 2 teaspoons
- Grated parmesan, 75g
- Egg yolks, 2 medium
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- Red wine 175ml
- Passata 1 kg (2x 500g cartons)
- Caster sugar, 1 tablespoon
- Butter 30g
- Plain flour 40g
- Milk 500ml
- Bay leaves, 2 (can be dried, but fresh is preferred)
- Wholegrain mustard, 1 tablespoon
- 250g pack fresh lasagne sheets, one
- Grated mozzarella, 250g
How to make Meatball Lasagne:
Phase A: Making the meatballs
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
- Fry the onion in a tablespoon of oil on low heat with a pinch of salt until tender.
- Let it cool off slightly. Pour it in a large bowl.
- Add the beef, thyme, and two-thirds of the parmesan. Add salt and pepper seasoning.
- Use damp hands to thoroughly mix these.
- Make small balls from the mixture. About 30 balls should be output.
- Fry the meatballs till brown in 1 tablespoon of oil. Do it in batches, not at once. Then set them aside to cool off.
Phase B: Making the Passata sauce
- Fry garlic for a minute and then add the wine and let it boil. Make sure to scrape the bottom.
- Add passata and sugar and bring to boil. Then after 40 minutes of simmering to thick; remove from heat.
- Stir mix 18 of the meatballs into the sauce.
Phase C: Making the white sauce
- To make the white sauce, heat the butter gently and add flour, stir till they are well mixed.
- Until flour is golden brown, keep stirring over low heat.
- Add milk gradually to have a smooth sauce.
- While stirring and boiling add bay leaves.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Add mustard and the remaining parmesan and stir until melted. Season to taste.
Phase D: Assembling the Lasagne
- Take a 30x20cm baking dish and spread 6 meatballs in it. Cover them with a lasagne sheet.
- Top this with half the white sauce (remove the bay leaves, though), and cover it with 1/3rd of mozzarella.
- Repeat the above step again.
- Arrange the rest of the meatballs on top and the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 minutes and rest for 10 minutes.
Voila! Your delicious Meatball Lasagne is ready. Bon Appetit!